Embedding Mpeg-4 Media Files Using HTML
MPEG-4 was developed in the late 1990s. Initially development was supported by many companies including Apple, DIV-X and Microsoft, but Microsoft has since abandoned active support. MPEG-4 is a very good quality standard with low file sizes.
Embedding MPEG-4 video file into your web page requires the use of specific HTML code.
The following code will embed a MPEG-4 media file for use with QuickTime or compatible.
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="180" > <PARAM NAME="src" VALUE="videofilename.mp4"> <PARAM NAME="autoplay" VALUE="true" > <EMBED SRC="videofilename.mp4" TYPE="image/x-macpaint" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="180" AUTOPLAY="true"> </EMBED> </OBJECT>
To use the file you will need to replace the following parameters:
- Replace the “video-filename.mp4” with your mp4 or mov filename.
- Replace WIDTH and HEIGHT as required, i.e. 320 and 256 respectively.
- Decide if you want AUTOPLAY to be “true” or “false”.
- Do not modify the <OBJECT> tag parameters, these are required for browsers using ActiveX support such as Internet Explorer.
- Do not modify the <EMBED> tag parameters, these are required for browsers such as Mozilla FireFox.
<OBJECT> Tag Parameters
CLASSID - This tells the browser what file type to expect and which application should handle it. CODEBASE - This instructs the browser where to find QuickTime movie player if it is not already installed. WIDTH and HEIGHT - Width and height of displayed image in pixels. PARAM NAME="src" VALUE - The URL to your file. PARAM NAME="autoplay" VALUE - When "true" the video clip will begin playing as soon as it completes loading. PARAM NAME="controller" VALUE - When "true" the movie controllers will be visible. Default is "true".
<EMBED> Tag Parameters
SRC - The URL to your file. PLUGINSPAGE - This instructs the browser where to find QuickTime movie player if it is not already installed. WIDTH and HEIGHT - Width and height of displayed image in pixels. AUTOPLAY- When "true" the video clip will begin playing as soon as it completes loading.
To use the code simply place it where you want your multimedia presentation to be shown in your web page.
- HTML elements are not case-sensitive.
- Tag parameter values should always be enclosed in, “double quotation marks”.
You May Also be Interested in the Following:
- Embedding MPEG-4 Media Files Using HTML
- Embedding QuickTime Media Files Using HTML
- Embedding RealMedia Files Using HTML
- Embedding Windows Media Files Using HTML
- How to Create a Multimedia Streaming Video File
- HTTP Streaming Multimedia Video & Audio
- Streaming Media Primers, Reports, White Papers
- Streaming Video Servers